CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, March 6, 2009

Assignmet #9-The Diary of An Englishman(Child)

Hey Bloggers! I'm responding to Assignment #9, which you can view here and here.

Monday, June 14th, 1779

Dear Diary,

Hello. My name is Margaret Jarden, I am twelve years old, and my family are Loyalists. My father gave me this diary because he said that I should write down my observations on this adventure to a place called Nova Scotia, somewhere to the north of where we live(or at least lived), with thousands of other Loyalists going with us, and some to different places. He said that this should be a well exciting adventure, because after all, we get to explore a whole new country! But I do hope that this adventure will be worth it, after all, as my little brother Isaac will be bothering me most of the way. Anyway, my mother has told me that a group of Loyalists beside us has just told my father that we will arrive in somewhere called Shelburne, which I think is a capital name for a town!

I sometimes wonder why we have to move to British North America, because I thought that my family was happy in New Amsterdam (the Thirteen Colonies). Well, my father said that it was because we must stay true to our roots, and stay true to the -- oh my! I just saw a moose! What a wonderful place we're in, I love nature! Canada will be especially topping because my father has told me that we will be getting 1000 acres of land! Imagine, 1000 whole acres of land where I can roam free, with nothing but the sound of wondrous wind! Oh, I really cannot wait, this will be a marvelous experience for us all!

P.S. I never finished my thought -- my father said that we must stay true to the Kingdom of Great Britain, and to the British monarchy which is why we are moving to British North America.

Wednesday, June 23rd, 1779

Dear Diary,

We are extremely close to arriving to British North America! I overheard a young little girl asking her father not too long ago, and I am very excited! Nothing very new has happened, but I have the most wondrous news! My father just told me that he will be getting me a horse! Almost all of my friends in the Thirteen Colonies had horses, so I finally feel included. Oh, and I have just seen a family of "British North Americans"(that's what my father calls them), and they look quite similar to us Loyalists. I thought that they would look quite different, but I've only lived in New Amsterdam for my whole life. I have also noticed that they seem not at all too pleased to see us -- one girl even through a stick at me! I think that this is because a rumour is going around which is saying that we will be making a new colony here. I don't know, but I have to go help mum unpack the cart. Until next time, I will keep writing in this diary, explaining my adventures here in British North America.

P.S. My father's friend has given me a picture of where we will be moving(it's near the bottom of the island).

3 comments:

Jessi M said...

Ireally like your entry zfor assignment #9. You really stepped into the shoes of your character! You also put a lot of detail.

Shauna Pollock said...

Sabrina,

Excellent use of language ("well exciting adventure!", "a capital name for a town")

You did a grand job getting into the perspective of a young girl - the excitement of seeing a moose, going to a new place. I also love when your narrator spots another family and sees that they look normal. Awesome.

Nice work, teenage witch!

One little edit, Loyalist is a proper noun and should be capitalized.

Mimi said...

Hey Sabrina, I really liked your assignment. Anyways I'll see you later,Bye. Oh and don't forget to follow my blog:D Thanks